Using Nagios to monitor "service-less" hosts

Tue Nov 7 16:54:15 CET 2006

Giles Coochey wrote:

> I thought host checks were only there to prevent you from receiving multiple service notifications when a host went down.

Even if that's the way it was designed, you can still use it to
determine if a host is up or down :)  Also, if you HAD to have a service
for each host, Nagios wouldn't even start up.

> Are you sure? Is it not just alerting you it's down when nagios goes to work out where the network outage is (assuming you have parenting set).

The gateways are the 2 main parents - there's nothing above them, but
they do have servers below them.  The people that manage the SC_Gateway
are re-routing to a new floor in the data-center, so at least once a day
the router goes down for a few seconds when they apply new routing rules
- Nagios tells me whenever this happens.
> Which I thought was because it didn't have a service attached to it, Nagios won't check a host if it doesn't have a service (at least that's how I've evaluated it's behaviour).

No, hosts AND services have an active_checks_enabled parameter - so you
can disable active checks on a host, but still check the services, and
vice versa.

> Actually I thought Fermín's thoughts were more closer to the the way that my Nagios functions and it seems to be the way I expect it to function.
>
> If I want a serviceless host then I just attach it to the ping service (or similar). Though generally, any service-less hosts we would have we'd probably turn off and not put in nagios at all :-)

That's basically what the check-active-host is - it's a ping command
that saves you having to have a Ping service (because I wouldn't exactly
class ping-ability as a service.)