Using Nagios to monitor "service-less" hosts

Giles Coochey GilesC at CarmenMedia.com
Tue Nov 7 16:44:05 CET 2006

> Hi Fermin,
>
> >> Is that right? Why don't fully decouple host-monitoring
> from service monitoring?
>
> No.  Nagios does use the check-host-alive command to
> determine if the host is up - and, yes, hosts and services
> are separate in that a host doesn't have to have any
> services, but a service must have a host.

I thought host checks were only there to prevent you from receiving multiple service notifications when a host went down.

> I have 2 hosts which are actually 2 gateway routers, which do
> not have any corresponding services.  Nagios issues a warning
> saying they don't have any services associated on every
> startup, but it monitors them perfectly.  Even if they drop
> off the network for a few seconds, Nagios knows about it.
> This is through the use of check_ping as the check-host-alive
> command - however, on one of my previous servers, the gateway
> router blocked ICMP, so I used check_ssh as the
> check-host-alive command which also worked perfectly.

Are you sure? Is it not just alerting you it's down when nagios goes to work out where the network outage is (assuming you have parenting set).

> It sounds as if you don't have active checks enabled for the
> hosts.  The error "Not enough data..." means an active or
> passive check hasn't been submitted for the host yet.

Which I thought was because it didn't have a service attached to it, Nagios won't check a host if it doesn't have a service (at least that's how I've evaluated it's behaviour).

> Take a look <snip!>

Actually I thought Fermín's thoughts were more closer to the the way that my Nagios functions and it seems to be the way I expect it to function.

If I want a serviceless host then I just attach it to the ping service (or similar). Though generally, any service-less hosts we would have we'd probably turn off and not put in nagios at all :-)