Using Nagios to monitor "service-less" hosts

Giles Coochey GilesC at CarmenMedia.com
Tue Nov 7 17:06:22 CET 2006

Hi Andy,

I'm just not so sure, from the v2 docs.. (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/checkscheduling.html):

Host Checks

Unlike service checks, host checks are not scheduled on a regular basis. Instead they are run on demand, as Nagios sees a need. This is a common question asked by users, so it needs to be clarified.

One instance where Nagios checks the status of a host is when a service check results in a non-OK status. Nagios checks the host to decide whether or not the host is up, down, or unreachable. If the first host check returns a non-OK state, Nagios will keep pounding out checks of the host until either (a) the maximum number of host checks (specified by the max_attempts option in the host definition) is reached or (b) a host check results in an OK state.

Also of note - when Nagios is check the status of a host, it holds off on doing anything else (executing new service checks, processing other service check results, etc). This can slow things down a bit and cause pending service checks to be delayed for a while, but it is necessary to determine the status of the host before Nagios can take any further action on the service(s) that are having problems.

Now I'm really getting confused. Perhaps the documentation is out of date, I've not seen active_checks_enabled defined for hosts, I'm not ever tried it either, so I suppose it might just be somewhat undocumented, not saying it doesn't work, but becoming sure that it wasn't in the original Nagios design.