check_ssh_login ?

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Mar 15 21:44:58 CET 2006

In message <1142434606.24001.40.camel at chi101100.int.tt.local>,
jeff vier writes:
>I need to check if I can log into a specific account on a system via
>SSH, but due to the nature of the system (tunneled to a serial console),
>I am unable to set up a key pair.

Replace your serial consoles with something like a Cyclades that
allows use of public keys.

>check_by_ssh is *close*, but provides no method of passing a password
>via the command line (which, yes, is a ghetto method of doing things,
>but you would still have to know the login to the system, and it *is
>different*), and it requires a remote command to execute.
>
>So, before I delve into hacking this functionality into check_by_ssh,

I don't think check_by_ssh is going to work since the ssh->serial
connection will probably not permit execution of a script and the
return of the exit code without a lot of work. Also it has no real
interactive support and it should like you need that.

>does anyone have a solution with existing tools?

An expect wrapper around ssh should do the trick and it can negotiate
the login prompt on the serial port as well.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard