check_ssh_login ?

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 15 22:44:23 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 15:44 -0500, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> In message <1142434606.24001.40.camel at chi101100.int.tt.local>,
> jeff vier writes:
> >I need to check if I can log into a specific account on a system via
> >SSH, but due to the nature of the system (tunneled to a serial console),
> >I am unable to set up a key pair.
>
> Replace your serial consoles with something like a Cyclades that
> allows use of public keys.

it's an off-site hosted box for a side-project of mine.

This isn't enterprise-level stuff (and I can't influence changes
directly).

> I don't think check_by_ssh is going to work since the ssh->serial
> connection will probably not permit execution of a script and the
> return of the exit code without a lot of work. Also it has no real
> interactive support and it should like you need that.

that's a good point.
I was envisioning it functioning like, as you said below, an expect
wrapper or something similar.

In the mean time, I'm forcing myself to be satisfied with just checking
that I can connect to the SSH server at all.

> >does anyone have a solution with existing tools?
> An expect wrapper around ssh should do the trick and it can negotiate
> the login prompt on the serial port as well.

I don't want to actually log in, I just want to see that I'm prompted
for the username with the correct hostname.

So, yeah, I think we're on the same page.