check_ssh_login ?

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 15 15:56:46 CET 2006

I need to check if I can log into a specific account on a system via
SSH, but due to the nature of the system (tunneled to a serial console),
I am unable to set up a key pair.

check_ssh only verifies that the system is answering to SSH requests
(which doesn't help me, the serial console host almost certainly
responds).

check_by_ssh is *close*, but provides no method of passing a password
via the command line (which, yes, is a ghetto method of doing things,
but you would still have to know the login to the system, and it *is
different*), and it requires a remote command to execute.

So, before I delve into hacking this functionality into check_by_ssh,
does anyone have a solution with existing tools?