How to report the number of RDP session on a W2K3 Terminal Server

Hans Engelen engelenh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:50:47 CEST 2006

Indeed thats a WMI Query you could use already.

The counters for perfmon are :

Terminal Services\Active Sessions
Terminal Services\Inactive Sessions
Terminal Services\Total Sessions

Which do not distinguish between RDP or ICA sessions I might add. So if you
have say 2 admins logged in via RDP, 10 users logged in via ICA and 5 users
logged in via ICA but disconnected your counters would respectivly be 12, 5
and 17.

At first glance I see no quick way however to split the 12 active sessions
into two values (one for RDP and one for ICA sessions). Other then
enumerating the actual sessions and doing the math on it in your check
(which means you are as good as obligated to run something like a small
vbscript on your winbox and have it relay the result through nsca).

Maybe I am overlooking a way to sidestep this.

Cheers,
Hans