Re(2): Supressing notifications of services when host isdown...

Robert Snyder rns3 at psu.edu
Wed Jun 14 20:10:13 CEST 2006

>Use a host check_command that returns a CRITICAL state when the host is
>down.
>
>http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/networkreachability.html

Marc,

What do you do if you are monitoring a service on a host that does not
return a ping? I have am running a check_http on a box that does not
return pings. So I am constantly getting notices that the host is down,
even though the service is up. Here are my settings:

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to $
        host_name               tech.worldcampus.psu.edu
        alias                    WDHelpDeskwww
        address                 tech.worldcampus.psu.edu
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        checks_enabled          0
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups          admins-group
        }

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  PSUWebNoPing
        alias           PSU Web Servers
#       contact_groups  admins-group
        members         tech.worldcampus.psu.edu
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service          ; Name
of service $
        hostgroup_name
ExternalWebServers,PSUWeb,PSUWebNoPin
g,WDWeb,ODINWeb,CASEWeb,EvaluationWeb,MiscWeb
        service_description             HTTP
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins-group
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_http
        }

The PSUWebNoPing hostgroup is not a listed on the check_ping service.

But I still get host down notifications every two hours.

Thanks.

Robert

Robert Snyder
Outreach Technology Services