Re(2): Supressing notifications of services when host isdown...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 14 20:46:35 CEST 2006

The simple answer is to change the host check_command to be something
that _does_ indicate when the host is really down, either directly or by
proxy. If possible pick something unrelated the service checks for the
host check_command (listening on port 22 for linux or 139 for windows
for example). Iff the only thing you can check on that host remotely is
whether your web server is answering then make check_http your host
check command as well. The unfortunate side effect in that case is that
you can't really tell between a web server crash or if the host is
really down.

[config chopped]

> The PSUWebNoPing hostgroup is not a listed on the check_ping service.
>
> But I still get host down notifications every two hours.

Your host definition does have checks (active and on-demand) disabled
via 'checks_enabled 0' but you're still receiving host notifications.
That indicates to me that either nagios wasn't restarted after making
the config change (1.x) or that you may have multiple nagios daemons
running at the same time (1.x and 2.x).

--
Marc