Supressing notifications of services when host isdown...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 14 18:11:37 CEST 2006

Use a host check_command that returns a CRITICAL state when the host is
down.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/networkreachability.html

"Monitoring Services on Down or Unreachable Hosts

The main purpose of Nagios is to monitor services that run on or are
provided by physical hosts or devices on your network. It should be
obvious that if a host or device on your network goes down, all services
that it offers will also go down with it. Similarly, if a host becomes
unreachable, Nagios will not be able to monitor the services associated
with that host.

Nagios recognizes this fact and attempts to check for such a scenario
when there are problems with a service. Whenever a service check results
in a non-OK status level, Nagios will attempt to check and see if the
host that the service is running on is "alive". Typically this is done
by pinging the host and seeing if any response is received. If the host
check commmand returns a non-OK state, Nagios assumes that there is a
problem with the host. In this situation Nagios will "silence" all
potential alerts for services running on the host and just notify the
appropriate contacts that the host is down or unreachable. If the host
check command returns an OK state, Nagios will recognize that the host
is alive and will send out an alert for the service that is
misbehaving."

--
Marc