A question about performance

Janet Post Janet.Post at excapsa.ca
Fri Jul 7 14:41:13 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I have a question about performance.  The Active checks shows that
nagios is only completing 98.6% of the checks in an hour, but my latency
is showing and average of under a minute.

Does this mean that 1.4% of my checks, (26 checks in this case), are not
being run at all?

And what exactly is latency?  Is the amount of time it takes for checks
to run?  Wouldn't this be the same as check execution time?

Here is a sample of my performance output:

==================snip======================
Program-Wide Performance Information:
Active Checks:

Time Frame	Checks Completed
<= 1 minute:	270 (14.8%)
<= 5 minutes:	1722 (94.1%)
<= 15 minutes:	1803 (98.6%)
<= 1 hour:		1803 (98.6%)
Since program start:  	1803 (98.6%)

Metric			Min.		Max.		Average
Check Execution Time:  	< 1 sec	5 sec		0.116 sec
Check Latency:		< 1 sec	2 sec		0.063 sec