Escalation questions

Justin Shore justin.shore at sktbcs.com
Mon Jan 9 20:43:05 CET 2006

Greetings.  I'm trying to set up a quick escalation procedure for 3
hosts.  Host Down alerts are generated for these hosts on a daily basis
due to the load on the first of the 3 items.  This particular problem
always resolves itself by the time next check happens (causing a host
down alert followed by a host up alert 2 minutes later).

What I'd like to do is use an escalation procedure with the first
contact being the user "null" I created on my Nagios box for the
explicit purpose of directing mail to /dev/null (this works already with
a few other contacts).  I've already created a "null" contactgroup for
this purpose.  I'd like the normal alerting process to start again after
15 minutes if the host(s) is still down.  This would prevent half a
dozen people from being paged daily with what equates to a bogus alert
(causing them to slowly but surely stop paying as much attention to the
alerts over time).  I'm a bit confused on how to implement this though.
Here's what I've got so far:

define hostescalation{
	host_name				cmts-1.clr
	contact_groups			isp-net-admins,cmts-admins
	first_notification		1
	notification_interval		15
	escalation_period			24x7
	escalation_options		d,u,r
}

isp-net-admins and cmts-admins are the normal contactgroups for these
hosts.  "null" is the contact(group) I want to use for the first 15
minutes before the escalation takes place on these 3 hosts.  I'm a
little confused on the notification_interval options.  My hosts/services
are by default running at 180 (minutes).  Will the notification_interval
in this hostescalation definition override that?  I'm not sure if I'm
taking the right approach to this or not so I welcome any and all
suggestions.

I've been reviewing the online docs and have made good headway.  I'm
stuck at the moment though.

Thanks
  Justin

--