retention.dat not created

Mike Holloway mikhollo at cisco.com
Tue Jan 10 16:25:10 CET 2006

Howdy fellow Nagios users.  I've been researching a Nagios issue I've
been experience, and as I haven't yet been able to resolve it with
help from the nagios forums, I thought I would try the mailing list.

My system: FreeBSD 6.0 / Nagios 2.0b6 and 2.0rc1

The problem: I've been unable to get retention.dat working as
described in the documentation.  The file is never created.  It
doesn't appear to be a file/dir permissions problem (running as
nagios/nagios).  It's not a "multiple Nagios processes" problem.  The
file never gets created or populated with data.  I've tried values of
0, 3, and 60 for retention_update_interval, and have restarted Nagios
(killed all procs) and given it plenty of time to populate
retention.dat, I never see the file created.

My need is to have Nagios remember disabled service checks and
disabled notifications when it is restarted.

Below are the relevant parts of my config (please assume a host entry
exists):

retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/var/spool/nagios/retention.dat
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=1

define service{
name generic-service
active_checks_enabled 1
is_volatile 0
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 2
normal_check_interval 5
retry_check_interval 1
passive_checks_enabled 0
parallelize_check 1
obsess_over_service 1
check_freshness 0
notifications_enabled 1
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options c,r
event_handler_enabled 1
flap_detection_enabled 1
process_perf_data 1
retain_status_information 1
retain_nonstatus_information 1
register 0
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name somehostname.domain.com
service_description SSH Secure Shell
contact_groups level_1_notifications
check_command check_ssh
}

And a couple of directory listings:

/var/spool # ls -la
drwxrwxrwx 2 nagios nagios 512 Jan 3 09:54 nagios

/var/spool/nagios # ls -la
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 784 Dec 29 18:35 comments.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 241 Dec 28 15:21 downtime.dat
prw-rw---- 1 nagios nagios 0 Jan 3 09:54 nagios.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios nagios 6 Jan 3 09:54 nagios.lock
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 165973 Jan 3 09:54 objects.cache
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 1294 Jan 3 09:55 perfdata.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 165614 Jan 3 09:55 status.dat

Here's a link to the forums thread I've been working in, if I get an
answer via the list I will also post it there for posterity:

http://www.meulie.net/forum_viewtopic.php?21.4934

Thanks in advance for any assistance guys and gals!

-mike