Service Check Timed Out

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jan 9 18:01:04 CET 2006

Out)

> SERVICE ALERT: host-ccc;FPING;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;(Service Check Timed
Out)

> The FPING service is a perl script i wrote wich does a fping, and a
> snmpwalk. In the worst case scenario this should take are 30 seconds
> run.
>
> I've set up service_check_timeout=90 in the main (nagios.cfg) config
file.
> The machine is under medium to heavy load, but i can't understand why
> it's getting a timeout, as 90 seconds seem more than enough for any of
> the scripts to run.

Does it work for any host/service? Did you perform your testing of your
script as the nagios user? I presume that nagios was restarted or
reloaded after modifying the timeout above.

> Is there any possibility that this is generated by the
check-host-alive
> plugin and it escalates ? or something like that ... ?

No, the output information from a host check is not down-populated to
all its services. The check really is timing out.

> any ideeas ?

I would log entry and exit times from your script to see if it really is
taking >90 seconds to run as well as log important milestones within the
script (fping start, fping output, fping end, snmpwalk start, output and
end, etc). I would also verify that it runs as expected by running the
command definition exactly as specified as the nagios user.

--
Marc