Snmpstatus/aggregate bandwidth

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 26 21:13:05 CET 2006

> >> You are not using the right tool.
> > No, for this, Nagios is perfect. I need one graph. Not one per port.

(Now I can jump into the fray)

The way we do this here is to use MRTG.  You *CAN* get the total traffic
used by a host with MRTG - if you use the routers2 frontend, rather than
14all or native, you can get 95th percentiles and total traffic use on a
port.  You can also total over multiple ports for a multi-interfaced host if
you define a userdefined graph for the appropriate ports.  However, this is
getting out of the scope of a Nagios newsgroup.
See here for example:
http://www.steveshipway.org/cgi-bin/routers2.pl?rtr=hosts%2Fhost-a.cfg&xgtyp
e=d&if=host-a-snmp-if-2

We run both MRTG (for graphs) and Nagios (for alerts) here.  They use the
same agents for data collection (SNMP, pNSclient, NRPE) and we have the
MRTG/routers2 Nagios plugin to link from MRTG to Nagios, and use the
hostextinfo urls to link from Nagios to MRTG.  Works well.

Email me directly if you'd like some specifics on how we configure
Nagios/MRTG for this.

Steve