Snmpstatus/aggregate bandwidth

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Jan 26 06:17:35 CET 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, John C. Welch wrote:

> On 1/24/06 13:50, "Hugo van der Kooij" <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org> wrote:
>
>>> MRTG is great for per-port stuff, but I want to use Nagios to measure total
>>> traffic used by a host.
>>
>> You are not using the right tool. If you want performance graphs like that
>> you need to poll the proper interfaces and store them with your own
>> rrdtool script and generate the graphs.
>>
>> Nagios is not the tool for concatenating these things. Only use a hammer
>> when you need one. If you need a plier it is not good to grasp the nearest
>> hammer and expect it to be a plier. (you may interchange plier and hammer
>> if you like in this sample as long as you do it consistently ;-)
>
> No, for this, Nagios is perfect. I need one graph. Not one per port. Nagios
> is really quite perfect for monitoring single things.
>
> There is a single SNMP command that will give me this. snmpstatus. It does
> the aggregation for you. Read the man page, it's really quite handy. All I
> wanted to know is if someone had a plugin for it, or knew of a plugin that
> did this.
>
> Again, I need Nagios to monitor the results of an existing SNMP command.
> Seems that's Nagios' sweet spot.
>
> I've got Nagios and nagiosgraph .7 working quite well now with RRD,
> generating graphs of desired services quite happily.

As you note from the man page for snmpstatus - it does a lot of things -
Question is are they useful?

You mentioned total traffic -
snmpstatus adds up all the available counters -
What happens when the counters roll over?
The counters only count from when the snmp agent was (re)started.
On cisco and other network devices you can clear counters at any time -
snmpstatus would not know the difference.

Is an absolute number that is always increasing (in a saw tooth pattern)
meaningful?

Much more useful would be aggregation of data rates/bandwidth used
across all interfaces - For this you will need an mrtg/cacti/cricket based
solution that can poll data on individual interfaces and then summarize
them. - Like Cricket's summary graphs where you add up values from other
entries.  These can then be checked via check_rrd for threshold values.

If you need to see the operational status of all the interfaces - then
check_ifstatus will do.

--
-sg