Snmpstatus/aggregate bandwidth

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Thu Jan 26 01:43:17 CET 2006

snmpstatus reads and displays system counters which are point-in-time
values, not deltas or rates (which is what bandwidth is).

The difference between what you're looking for and a stock Nagios
installation is that Nagios is (in a simplified sense) completely stateless.
It does not remember what the last output value was. (it remembers only what
the last problem state was)

A trending application like RRDtool does however calculate rates, it does so
by comparing counter values against timestamps.
ie (283443 bytes - 212874 bytes / 500 sec) = XXX bytes/second = bandwidth

So, how do you monitor bandwidth in Nagios?
Perhaps you're looking for the check_traffic plugin:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/contrib/misc/check_traffic/
The plugin records values and timestamps to a file (/tmp/traffic) and
calculates the difference in value from the previous invocation, resulting
in a traffic rate.  It can optionally use RRDtool.

Monitoring and trending are two separate but complimentary applications,
which is probably why Cacti and Nagios are used side-by-side in many shops.