processing bottleneck & staled results

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Tue Jan 24 16:42:06 CET 2006

Hi there,

I am scratching my head here for a couple of weeks, my central Nagios
has been acting strangely, too many stale results with no apparent
reason. So, trying to workaround this situation, I made a question wich
I could not answer. That is: "How to measure a server capacity in terms
of number of services and hosts?"

Running nagios -s don't give me any indications that could be of use.

My config is as follows:
* almost 12k services (all passive: send_ncsa & ncsa)
* over 2600 devices

IMHO, I am getting processing bottleneck. Is there any chance of Nagios
not being capable of processing all external command input by nsca to
nagios.cmd? Or, it could also be the execution of 10 instances of
status.cgi running every 60 seconds? When placing status.dat on ramfs or
tmpfs I start to get 500 internal server error, with premature end of
script headers on apache's errorlog.

The server hw is a P4 3.0GHz HT, 2GB, couple of sata disks (soft raid).

Thanks in advance.
--
Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano <msugano at uolinc.com>
Universo Online S.A. -- http://www.uol.com.br