SNMP Nagios Plugin

timeless time at digg.com
Wed Jan 18 07:03:52 CET 2006

I couldn't find such a thing with preliminary search, so I wrote my own.

First is a generic POSIX command to SNMP translator Perl script. You ask
it something like "df" or "ps" or "loadavg" and it tells you the
information from SNMP on the host you're interested in.

The next is a Nagios plugin that depends on the first. Largely it's the
exact same syntax in usage, but with a "--threshold" argument to decide
what is WARNING vs. CRITICAL.

The purpose of this was that since our cluster already has SNMP set up,
we didn't also want to run NRPE, nor set up passwordless SSH from the
Nagios machine.

Both scripts, with some additional text and editorialising on SNMP are here:

http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/SNMPtoUnixCommandMapping

Extra credit to whomever merges the two scripts into one to avoid the
hassle of having two scripts. They're 80% similar, and one script could
probably fit inside a subroutine of the other (the Nagios functionality
probably should be a subroutine inside the unixToSnmp one).

--
timeless