Disabling GIF image for passive checks

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 19 21:15:27 CET 2006

> This works great, thank you. My biggest concern now is when a
> distributed server stops reporting such that a service
> becomes stale, it's going to happen to a couple hundred
> services and send out a correspondingly huge amount of email
> notifications. Any thoughts on how to limit this?

Use service dependencies.  Define a 'nagios running' service check for your
distributed server checked every 1 min, and then make all of the passives
depend on this service.  Thus, if the distributed nagios goes belly-up then
this 'nagios running' will go to critical or unknown, and then the service
dependencies will prevent notification on all of the passive services (which
will go stale AFTER the distributed nagios check, if you check that often
enough).

Steve