a config problem using centos 4, apache 2.0.52 and nagios 2.0b4 rpm

gillianb gillian.bennett at celentia.com
Fri Jan 13 04:04:19 CET 2006

Hi,

I am a long time user of nagios on linux platforms. I am currently
having a problem that I have not yet encountered and hence am hoping
that someone else has had this problem and can help me resolve it.

On this new server, I have installed nagios as an rpm with the latest
plugins etc so config is under /etc/nagios, cgi is under /usr/lib/nagios
and share is under /usr/share/nagios.

I have configured apache with the stanzas recommended in the doco which
has always worked for me (great doco, THANKS!!).

the config files check out OK (using /usr/bin/nagios -v
/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg), and httpd starts up without errors. The home
page of nagios loads and permits login without problem as well, but as
soon as I click on one of the side menu options, I get the error:

Internal Server Error

The server has encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request.

No errors in the nagios.log file, but in /var/log/httpd/error_log I find
errors:
Permission Denied: exec of /usr/lib/nagios/cgi/status.cgi failed.
Premature end of script headers status.cgi

All files under /usr/lib/nagios/cgi have perms
_rwxrwx___
and ownership nagios:nagios
httpd runs as apache, and apache is in the nagios group. This has always
worked for me in the past.

I am guessing there is a problem with my httpd setup, but to be honest,
I haven't done anything to it other than add the stanzas for nagios. I
have also deleted them and re-added them just to make sure.

Thanks, gb