Why does Socket Timeout immediately send notification?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Jan 7 22:41:09 CET 2006

Is it a service or host notification?

> Google searches and searching the documentation/FAQ for "socket
timeout"
> only explain what the problem is, not why that sort of failure results
> in an immediate HARD STATE change.

It doesn't. It's treated no differently than any other non-OK plugin
state. Nagios only knows about exit codes and there are only 4
possibilities: OK, WARNING, CRITICAL and UNKNOWN. Nagios performs
retries if the state is anything except OK up to max_check_attempts.

> Any clues for me? How can I make it only result in a HARD CRITICAL
after
> 4 checks, like other CRITICAL events?

Service and host definitions as well as their associated command
definitions would be helpful. My guess would be that when nagios sees
the non-OK return of the service plugin it executes the host
check_command which returns a non-OK state as well resulting in a host
notification because nagios believes the host is down.

--
Marc