Why does Socket Timeout immediately send notification?

timeless time at digg.com
Sat Jan 7 06:51:08 CET 2006

I have Nagios configured to send notifications after 4 CRITICAL service
checks. However, if the service check returns "socket timeout," Nagios
immediately sends the page without doing another 3 checks.

Google searches and searching the documentation/FAQ for "socket timeout"
only explain what the problem is, not why that sort of failure results
in an immediate HARD STATE change.

Any clues for me? How can I make it only result in a HARD CRITICAL after
4 checks, like other CRITICAL events?

--
timeless