Why does Socket Timeout immediately send notification?

timeless time at digg.com
Sun Jan 8 03:28:52 CET 2006

Marc Powell wrote:

>It doesn't. It's treated no differently than any other non-OK plugin
>state. Nagios only knows about exit codes and there are only 4
>possibilities: OK, WARNING, CRITICAL and UNKNOWN. Nagios performs
>retries if the state is anything except OK up to max_check_attempts.
>

>Service and host definitions as well as their associated command
>definitions would be helpful. My guess would be that when nagios sees
>the non-OK return of the service plugin it executes the host
>check_command which returns a non-OK state as well resulting in a host
>notification because nagios believes the host is down.

Actually, I think you're right. I was fooled by the Alert Histogram,
which I'd thought had the same look for both HARD and SOFT states (hence
I assumed there were no more SOFT CRITICAL than HARD for the time period
in effect). Either I misinterpreted the results, or the bug is in Alert
Histogram.

When I get a report of Most Recent Alerts For (service), I can see there
were SOFT CRITICAL states in the minutes preceding the alert.

Thanks for the help,
--
timeless