nagios not notifying by email

Dave Stern dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:25:08 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Marc Powell wrote:

> [chop]
>

>> I just tried disabling all state_retention (was previously on) and
> bounced
>> nagios and finally got a message.   so perhaps state retention was set
>> incorrectly. What I'd like to do is have it retain state when I bounce
>
> The 'Retention Notes' at
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html will provide
> insight into how retention works.
>
>> nagios st I don't get msgs about those I know are down on restart.
> Here's
>> what I have:
>>
>> nagios.cfg:
>> log_initial_states=0
>> retain_state_information=0
>> state_retention_file=/usr/local/stow/nagios/var/status.sav
>> use_retained_program_state=0
>>
>> host.cfg:
>>      retain_status_information       0
>>      retain_nonstatus_information    0
>>
>> services.cfg:
>>       retain_status_information       0
>>       retain_nonstatus_information    0
>
> We use --
>
> nagios.cfg -
> retain_state_information=1
> use_retained_program_state=0
> state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav
>
> host template -
>
> retain_status_information       1
> retain_nonstatus_information    1
>
> service template -
>
> retain_status_information       1
> retain_nonstatus_information    1
>
> Notifications are not sent out on restart.

Turns out, there were multiple iterations of nagios running as I
worked  the configs so it muddied the water as to which changes
made which results. I'm gonna have to rework the startup to insure
it kills all of them.
Thanks for everyones help

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies