nagios not notifying by email

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 23 22:36:21 CET 2006

[chop]

> I just tried disabling all state_retention (was previously on) and
bounced
> nagios and finally got a message.   so perhaps state retention was set
> incorrectly. What I'd like to do is have it retain state when I bounce

The 'Retention Notes' at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html will provide
insight into how retention works.

> nagios st I don't get msgs about those I know are down on restart.
Here's
> what I have:
>
> nagios.cfg:
> log_initial_states=0
> retain_state_information=0
> state_retention_file=/usr/local/stow/nagios/var/status.sav
> use_retained_program_state=0
>
> host.cfg:
>      retain_status_information       0
>      retain_nonstatus_information    0
>
> services.cfg:
>       retain_status_information       0
>       retain_nonstatus_information    0

We use --

nagios.cfg -
retain_state_information=1
use_retained_program_state=0
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav

host template -

retain_status_information       1
retain_nonstatus_information    1

service template -

retain_status_information       1
retain_nonstatus_information    1

Notifications are not sent out on restart.

--
Marc