Reporting and misc rave.

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Feb 3 00:41:48 CET 2006

> From: Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
>
> 1 About graphing with Nagios
>
> Why would one bother when
>
>   1.1 Cacti does such a good job
>
>   1.2 Nagios could check the Cacti RRDs with either
> check_rrd, or by an
>   outboard (Cron scheduled) RRD poller that submits passive service
> check results
>
>   1.3 the graphs can be associated with Nag service checks by either
>
>    - explict URL of the Cacti graph in the service check output
>
>    - for the adventurous, a Wiki front end that displays some of the
>      Nag CGI service status and a link to the Cacti graph.

Main problem: Both systems have their own host/service configuration
systems, so you'll end up duplicating all the data entry.  One is PHP/MySQL,
the other is binary/text cfg files, which doesn't lend itself to a simple
templated configurator for both systems.  If run on different servers,
you'll also have to contend with check_rrd via NFS, NRPE, etc.

I think what people want (and I see lots of such questions) is a "Graph This
Service" checkbox plus a fruity-like web config interface.  Given those two,
cacti would  be out on the curb.