log checking plugins?

John Daily jdaily at apparatus.net
Mon Aug 14 05:56:01 CEST 2006

I've extended the original check_log script to return an error code until it sees a specific "fixed" message in the log.  I wouldn't be surprised if my code is buggy or misses some corner cases, but you're welcome to give it a shot.

It shares some of the limitations of the original check_log; for example, if the log file rotates after an error appears but before the script runs, the plugin won't catch it.

I've tried to allow for a mixture of "broken" and "fixed" messages between invocations.  Whichever comes last, wins.

Anyway, consider yourself warned that it might not suit your needs.  Also, I just noticed that there's no license on the script, so technically I'm probably violating Ethan's copyright by redistributing a hacked copy, but I'll assume that there's a license on the plugins in general that I'm not aware of.  Even the "LEGAL" document with my plugin RPM does not specify any license, just a warranty disclaimer.

check_log2 (very original name, eh?) is attached.

-John