SNMP?

Colby Williams colby.williams at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 17:48:38 CEST 2006

OK, the Cisco devices will be easy.

1.  Figure out if they allow SNMP monitoring (READ ONLY).  That should be
easy, I am sure they allow SNMP monitoring.  I would set them up so that
they only can recieve SNMP read request from your Nagios Box.
EXAMPLE, in our devices, I had to activate SNMP, add the IP of the Nagios
box and the comminuty string.  With that said you will have to come up with
a community string that the devices and the Nagios box will share.  Default
is 'Public', CHANGE THAT!!!  easy to get compromised, everyone knows that.
2.  Download SNMPing http://www.sans.org/alerts/snmp/.  it's on the SANS
website, it's safe.
3.  With SNMPing you have to use the device IP and the community string.
Click Scan and hopefully your device will respond.  If no response, there
are a few things that might be stopping the check:  Network routes, firewall
rules, or the device is not setup properly.
Once you over come that we can can move on.

Hit me back.  If you want to continue.

Colby