disabled ping and check_smtp: nagios won't not ping

Chris Paul chris.paul at sentinare.com
Thu Aug 3 05:36:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:40:56 -0400
"Morris, Patrick" <patrick.morris at hp.com> wrote:

> Then you have a ping check defined somewhere, or you need to
> reload/restart Nagios.
>
> If restarting Nagios doesn't solve it (stop it first, and make sure it's
> really stopped by checking a process list before restarting), then
> examine your configs more closely to see what has a ping check attached
> to it.

That FreeBSD /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios restart makes sure it shuts down, but I did a "stop" and "ps" to make sure it was stopped and then a "start" just to make sure.

>From the logs, what I see is this:

[1154570103] SERVICE ALERT: relay1;PING;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

This service is NOT configured to have a ping check, and this is the problem.

I did see some post somewhere else where someone had the same problem, but I can't find that now. I think this may be a bug in Nagios.

CP

--
Chris Paul

Sentinare Messaging Solutions
106 Maywood Drive, Boulder Creek, CA 95006
web: http://www.sentinare.com
phone: +1 (877) 727-9786

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Sentinare Messaging Solutions, Inc. is a California Corporation.