disabled ping and check_smtp: nagios won't not ping

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Aug 3 05:41:09 CEST 2006

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:40:56 -0400
> "Morris, Patrick" <patrick.morris at hp.com> wrote:
>
> > Then you have a ping check defined somewhere, or you need to
> > reload/restart Nagios.
> >
> > If restarting Nagios doesn't solve it (stop it first, and make sure
> > it's really stopped by checking a process list before restarting),
> > then examine your configs more closely to see what has a ping check
> > attached to it.
>
> That FreeBSD /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios restart makes sure it
> shuts down, but I did a "stop" and "ps" to make sure it was
> stopped and then a "start" just to make sure.
>
> From the logs, what I see is this:
>
> [1154570103] SERVICE ALERT:
> relay1;PING;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after
> 10 seconds
>
> This service is NOT configured to have a ping check, and this
> is the problem.
>
> I did see some post somewhere else where someone had the same
> problem, but I can't find that now. I think this may be a bug
> in Nagios.

It's most definitely not a Nagios bug - Nagios will never just make up
services that aren't defined in your configs.  It can't.

Would it be possible to show any parts of your config with the word
"PING" in them? I guarantee you one of them is either directly or
indirectly assigned to your relay1 host.