Cingular SMS blocking my Nagios Pages

Patrick Mannion patrickjmannion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:46:16 CEST 2006

Robert Snyder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with my Cingular service passing emails to my
> phone from my Nagios server.
>
> I can see from the logs that sendmail on my naigos server is sending the
> emails. But they never come through. And there is no error returned from
> the Cingular mail server.

It might sound silly, but try turning the phone off and on. Cingular's
SMSC infrastructure is notorious for "forgetting" how to route mail when
a device hasn't registered recently (at least, in the NYC area). I've
seen whole days where I will receive notifications from the office and
personal implementations, but I won't get anything from Yahoo! Sports or
GMail. Powering off and on re-registers the device and I'll get a flood
of old messages, with the only commonality the sender being less
frequent than the ones that are working.