Re(2): Cingular SMS blocking my Nagios Pages

InnovationsTech, Matthew Thomas MThomas at InnovationsTech.com
Tue Aug 1 18:15:36 CEST 2006

Not sure about cingular, but a lot of places, if the PTR is not right,
they will not accept email. AOL is notorious for this.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Robert
Snyder
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11.59
To: Nagios Users
Subject: [Nagios-users] Re(2): Cingular SMS blocking my Nagios Pages

On Tue, Aug 1, 2006, Morris, Patrick wrote:

>Does the from address resolve (both forward and reverse) in external
>DNS?

I think this is the problem. The canonical name is different than than
the host name which is an alias on
the dns record:

IP address = NNN.NNN.NNN.206
canonical name = mydepartment206.mydeparment.myschool.edu;
host name/alias = nagios.mydeparment.myschool.edu
sender address nagios at nagios.mydeparment.myschool.edu

I am trying adding the canonical name to my white list on cingular's SMS
management site.

Hopefully, if I am explicitly allowing sms from that system, it will get
through.

As far as being on any black lists, I don't think so. The box has never
been a mail server before being set for the very limited ability to send
nagios pages.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert

Robert Snyder