(No output!) message

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Wed Apr 19 01:43:17 CEST 2006

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

>Message: 24
>Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:47:48 +0300
>Subject: [Nagios-users] (No output!) message
>
>Hi all.
>I will make a question about the famous "(No output!)" error.
>
>I am trying to watch cpu usage on a cisco router.
>I am using check_snmp_load.pl from here
>http://www.manubulon.com/nagios/ind=
>ex_commands.html
>
>####### CONFIGURATION #######
>##### checkcommands.cfg
>define command {
>        command_name check_snmp_cisco_cpu
>        command_line $USER1$/check_snmp_load.pl -H
>$HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$ =
>-T cisco -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
># comment community warning critical
>}
>
>###### services.cfg
>define service {
>        name Cisco_check_cpu
>        service_description CPU
>        check_command
>check_snmp_cisco_cpu!my_community!30,300,30!40,40,40
>        register 0
>}
>
>From=20command line, logged in as root or apache2 user, it works.
>However,
># su - nagios
>whoami
>root
>

>ping & snmp checks work.
>
>Any idea what can cause this error?

No but this may help,

1 If you are using embedded Perl, try calling the plugin from either a
/bin/sh or C wrapper

ie replace your command_line in checkcommands.cfg with

command_line WRAPPER $USER1$/check_snmp_load.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
$ARG1$ -T cisco -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$

WRAPPER is something like

#!/bin/sh

PLUGIN/PATH/check_snmp.pl $@

or

main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  execve("/PLUGIN/PATH/check_snmp.pl", argv) ;
}

gcc -o WRAPPER WRAPPER.c

2 Otherwise, it may be better to write a small wrapper that appends the
arguments that Nagios calls the plugins with to a file

#!/bin/sh

echo $@ >> /Some/file/writable/by/Nagios

Yours sincerely.