Passive Check Problem with NSCA

Michael S. Klapheke mklaphek at cedarpath.com
Sat Sep 17 04:35:41 CEST 2005

Hi.  I spent some time looking around in the archive.  While I found similar
items, I couldn't find anything that matched my problem.

I have installed the NSCA Client on a W2K server and configured external
commands and NSCA on the Nagios server.  I followed the documentation as
closely as I could and also reviewed the numerous postings in various sites;
however, the Service Status remains at "Pending," even though several events
have been sent to it.  If I look at /var/log/messages, I can see several
entries (two are listed below):

>From tail -f /var/log/messages:

Sep 16 21:23:59 server1 nagios: EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;cp-web1;Application EventLog;2;Ap

plication [error] [nagioseventlog test #1]: Test message

Sep 16 21:24:44 server1 nagios: EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;cp-web1;Application EventLog;2;Ap

plication [error] [nagioseventlog test #1]: Test message

If I look at the Nagios Event Log, I see the following:

[09-16-2005 21:24:44] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;cp-web1;Application EventLog;2;Application
[error] [nagioseventlog test #1]: Test message

[09-16-2005 21:23:59] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;cp-web1;Application EventLog;2;Application
[error] [nagioseventlog test #1]: Test message

cp-web1 is defined in the host definition as well as for several services.
For the NSCA service definition, I have enabled Passive Checks and disabled
Active Checks.

>From what I can tell, the information is getting to Nagios, but it's not
showing up on the Service Status page (the status shows Pending for over an
hour now).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike