Successful deployment of Nagios

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth rossz at vamos-wentworth.org
Sat Sep 17 04:58:26 CEST 2005

I installed nagios a couple of weeks ago after I got a frantic email on
a Sunday afternoon from the person who contracts me to manage his
ecommerce server.  The system was down and had been down for several
hours.  The problem was easily resolved, fortunately.  However, I did
not consider it up to my professional standards to have the owner
contact me when there was a problem.  I should have KNOWN there was a
problem and dealt with it, even on a Sunday afternoon.

So in goes Nagios onto my personal Linux box that sits in my closet,
http://vamos-wentworth.org/rossz/?p=59.  I configured it to actively
monitor the http and ftp services and passively monitor disk space, cpu
load, and the mysql process.  I also added two other servers I am
responsible for.

This morning the monitored host went down at 10:00am.  At 10:09am I
received the alert as a text message on my cell phone.  I immediately
pulled up the Nagios status screen and saw it was definitely down (had
to check, just in case I screwed up the configuration), verified I could
not log in via ssh, and immediately contacted the hosting company.  By
10:30am the system was back up and running.  I emailed the owner to let
him know there was a problem, and that it had been dealt with quickly.
I don't need to let him know about every little glitch, but this was the
first time Nagios proved its worth so I made an exception.

All in all, I'm a very happy BOFH.

Now all I need is a plugin that monitors windoze boxes for Internet
Explorer use with an event handler that applies high voltage to the
genitals of the offender.

--
Rossz