massive monitoring

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Sun Oct 30 17:23:26 CET 2005

Hello,

This is about monitoring roughly 8000 hosts with 2 or 3 services. I am
using nagios-2.0b4 compiled from sources.

I have wrote a little daemon that analyses some stuff and submit
services status as passive checks.

The problem is that the web interface is kind of slow. It takes 3 to 6
seconds to show the tactical view, a bit more for hostgroup overview.
I investigated a bit and it seems the cgi spend a lot of time parsing
the status.dat : 18MB flat file.

It's acceptable when I am the only one viewing the data but the web
interface will be used by 23 people so the server will never be able to
serve the pages :-/

Anyone have experience in monitoring a lot of hosts / services (and thus
having a big status.dat file) ?

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++