[ NAGIOS vs MON ] was: Nagios Vs MOM

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Fri Oct 28 15:58:22 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 10:59 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Please don't top-post. It's terribly annoying.
>
> Emmett Keyser wrote:
> > I apologize to the list for this but I just want to say something....
> >
> > I don't think he was asking for opinions on his work environment. Not
> > all of us are so lucky to have the ideal work environment. I for one
> > thought it was a good question; something I've wondered about myself.
> > I've been following this list for about four months now and think it's
> > a great source of information. But do we really need opinions of the
> > people we work for/with? Windows isn't optimal or perfect or whatever
>
> No system is. If they were there wouldn't be others.
>
> > - WE GET IT. The question had to do with MOM vs. Nagios in Windows
> > environments.
>
> No, it was about differences between MOM vs Nagios in *any* environment.
> It just states that MOM is obviously geared towards a windows-dominated
> environment.
>
> > I think it's a valid question. I don't think it should
> > elicit a response that his boss(es) are idiots or that he should quit
> > his job.
> >

> True. What I said was that Nagios' strong side is that it handles all
> devices and emphasized this with the fact that no sane network have only
> one kind of device/OS/whatever. There was an if() clause around that
> part about stupid bosses so it doesn't necessarily apply and I didn't
> tell him to quit his job. I just said that I would if I were him. My
> opinions are so obviously my own that noone with a will of their own
> will take actions based on them as a recommendation on how to behave.
>
> That last sentence actually makes sense if you read it twice or so (I
> think). ;)

> >>If Nagios ever gets as good as MOM at windows monitoring, then M$ should
> >>shut down.
> >>
> >>Nagios efficiently monitors hosts (all kinds, gimme an OS and I'll tell
> >>you if Nagios can monitor it), switches (all kinds, gimme... ekcetera),
> >>routers and whatever else you might have. The strength of Nagios is its
> >>versatility. You can't, for instance, monitor OpenVMS, Solaris or HPUX
> >>boxen with MOM, but you can with Nagios. If you have a "windows-only"
> >>policy in the network your managers are most likely idiots (windows is
> >>far from optimal for all kinds of servers). In that case, I feel for you
> >>and, if I were you, would likely quit my job.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> >>OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
> >>Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Well, this was a good discussion, apart from all flaming thought. :)

Continuing this kind of question, WHATA ABOUT MON? I've been studying
this guy for a little while, and well, I think it is AS GOOD AS nagios,
when the topic is monitoring *nix like systems. Well, we all know that
Nagios it's the most flexible, but reading MON documentation, it looks
like it is much more extensible, and should make Nagios job as well. So,
quoting Ray: "Why use Nagios rather than MON?"

Your ideas and thoughts are very welcome!

TIA,

--
Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano <msugano at uolinc.com>
Universo Online S.A. -- http://www.uol.com.br