[ NAGIOS vs MON ] was: Nagios Vs MOM

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 28 16:50:46 CEST 2005

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano wrote:

> Well, this was a good discussion, apart from all flaming thought. :)
>
> Continuing this kind of question, WHATA ABOUT MON? I've been studying
> this guy for a little while, and well, I think it is AS GOOD AS nagios,
> when the topic is monitoring *nix like systems. Well, we all know that
> Nagios it's the most flexible, but reading MON documentation, it looks
> like it is much more extensible, and should make Nagios job as well. So,
> quoting Ray: "Why use Nagios rather than MON?"

MON is a different project. It seems very well thought out indeed but
hasn't had that much testing.

If you meant MOM I'd like to turn the question around; Why use MOM
rather than Nagios?

In favor of Nagios;
* Pricetag
* Extensibility
* Flexibility
* Open source code (you modify it if you want to).
* Scalability without paperwork (no need to extend a license each time
you add more hosts to your server park).
* Web-interface (perhaps MOM has that too, although I trust IIS security
about as far as I can throw it).
* Runs on any system you care to name (yes, including windows).
* Tons, tons and tons of addons for graphing, configuring,
auto-configuring, reporting, etc. etc.

In favor of MOM;
* Better at Windows.
* Management tools (although finding the problem is usually 95% of the
job and fixing it is normally done through the equivalence of an SSH- or
telnet session anyways).

That said, I've got better things to do right now than spending time on
comparing features for someone elses benefit.

Cheers

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se