[check_radius] Return Code of 137 is out of Bounds

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Thu Oct 27 18:05:02 CEST 2005

Hi Marc, i think the OS question is answered on my reply to my own post.

Following is your answer to your post.

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:30 -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, I've setup a check_radius, installed everything (libs, etc.)
> > configured radiusclient.conf and servers files, everything is running
> > fine, the plugin reports "Auth OK", and if the service or the process
> > stops, it alarms as expected. Until something I am missing occurs, and
> > suddenly, the plugin begins to report "Return Code of 137 is out of
> > bounds". As I've said, everything is running fine until something i am
> > missing. Has anyone seen something like this behaviour at all?
>
> What OS is involved? There's this FAQ that might be relevant but less
> likely if it works sometimes and not others --
>
> http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=17
>
> Another possibility is that the plugin is receiving a kill -9 (SIGKILL;
> 128+9=137) while executing.
>
> How's load on the server when this starts happening? Do you have any
> processes that kill others for any reason?

It is happening now, and load is normal, it is low. And no, there isn't
such process killing others for any reason.

> When this starts happening, can you run the plugin by hand as the nagios
> user as it's specified in your command definition to try to replicate
> it? You should echo the exit code after running it by using 'echo $?'.

bash-2.05$ ./check_radius -H 192.168.206.160 -P 1645
-F /usr/local/etc/radiusclient.conf -u gimli -p bk3otp6 -t 10 -r 3 &&
echo $?
Auth OK0
bash-2.05$ uname -a
SunOS gimli 5.8 Generic_117000-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
bash-2.05$ id
uid=1801(nagios) gid=1801(nagios)
bash-2.05$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib

I've just restarted nagios on gimli (the distributed agent) and
everything returned to normality. I will be monitoring it and came back
here with more info.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano <msugano at uolinc.com>