Notifications being send by unclear from where

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Thu Oct 27 17:19:42 CEST 2005

Hi All!

I got an SMS notification in the middle of the night last night, but I
cannot figure out where it is coming from. There is only one single
service where we hat it set "notifications_enabled 1" and no hosts with
notifications enabled. The messages were caused by the infamous
"CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after X seconds."

Looking in var/status.dat, I see that "notifications_enabled=1" is
listed for *several* of the services. However, looking in
etc/services.cfg, none of the services have notifications_enabled. In
fact, they are very simpl and refereence the service "generic-service",
which is shown below.

It *seems* that all of the services that have enabled notifications are
from a specific host, but not all of the services on this host have
notifications enabled. So it does not appear to be host related. Where
else do I need to check to find out where notifications are enabled? Any
help would be greatly appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of
this service template, referenced in other service definitions
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler
is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!

        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  datacenter
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c
        notifications_enabled           0