New check_summary calculated summary check

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 26 23:56:34 CEST 2005

Hi, I have recently developed a new check plugin in response to requirements
here.  I'll be uploading it to nagiosexchange shortly.  Anyone who wants a
copy now to help test and make suggestions, please email me directly.

The check_summary plugin changes state according to the statuses of other
hosts and services, as defined in a script.  This solves the problem of
complex cluster state calculations and gives a single service to report on.

check_summary [-x][-z] [-f file | -e 'script'] -s status.log
-z : ignore hosts/services in scheduled downtime
-x : ignore hosts/services with notifications disabled

This allows you to specify a calculated script which summarises the current
status of other hosts or services, allowing you to do complex cluster-state
analysis.

For example, a script like:

@min( /%^A )

will return the minimum status of all hosts matching the regexp '^A'.  Handy
for showing green if at least one of your web farm is up.  A more complex
script would be:

@map ( @max( @cluster( /%webserver ) @cluster( /%dbserver ) /router )
'OK:All running' 'WARN:System in degraded state' 'CRIT:System not
operational' )

this will give a critical if you lose your router, *all* the database
servers, or *all* the web servers.  You get a warning if anything is not OK.

Current functions are -
@min : Minimum of all statuses
@max : Maximum of all statuses
@avg : Average status (rounded to nearest whole number)
@cluster : Give OK if all OK, Crit if all critical, warn otherwise
@map : Change text message depending on status of first argument

Service statuses are given as /host/service, where either host or service
can be given as %regexp.

Things are currently slightly ropey as to what the text output is calculated
as when summarising, but that will develop after I have some user feedback.

Someone else may have already done something similar, however I couldn't
find it.  Let me know if so.  All feedback welcome...

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **