Problems with email alerts

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Oct 26 21:12:18 CEST 2005

Just a couple of thoughts... Have you verified that the timeperiods and
notification_options for each contact allow notifications? Are you
having disk space issues? How about any SELinux policies you may have
enacted. Do you see any avc denied messages in /var/log/messages that
might be relevant?

--
Marc

/var/log/messages
> has:
>
> Oct 23 21:35:56 envy nagios: SERVICE ALERT:
> envy;TEST;CRITICAL;HARD;3;Connection to 10.250.100.230 failed
> Oct 23 21:35:56 envy nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
> chris.gmail;envy;TEST;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Connection to
> 10.250.100.230 failed
>
> This implies that the notification fired...so I create a test service
> use a new notifier called notify-by-test with this as the command:
>
> # 'notify-by-test' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    notify-by-test
>         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "TEST FOR NAGIOS" | /bin/mail
-s
> "** test alert **" clahti at gmail.com
> }
>
> This command_line works from the normal command line as the nagios
user
> when run in a shell.  Now I force an OK and this is what the log says:
>
> Oct 23 21:49:47 envy nagios: SERVICE ALERT: envy;TEST;OK;HARD;3;test2
> Oct 23 21:49:47 envy nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
> chris.gmail;envy;TEST;OK;notify-by-test;test2
>
> Implies that the notification went out, but I still get no mail.
Finally
> I change the command to:
>
> command_line    touch /tmp/THISFIRED
>
> Repeat the above and the log shows service notification, but the
THISFIRED