Suggestion about new field in Service Object

Billow Gao billowgao at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:44:05 CEST 2005

I am talking about an ISP here.
Those server admin are not ours, but customers'.

And we just provide a center nagios server for them to monite their servers.

So there will be thousands of servers/services need to be added into nagios.

And we cann't use mailling list since different servers/services belong to
different person.
I already reduced the size of contact to four lines so totally 10 lines for
a new email address. (The other options are the same and in the template:
customer-contact)

=====================
define contact{
use customer-contact
contact_name contact_name
alias contact_alias
email contact_email_address
}

define contactgroup{
contactgroup_name contactgroup_name
alias contactgroup_alias
members contact_name
}
=====================

Just wonder why not provide a service-alias field in Service object and then
we can just use one line:
service_alias myemail at domain.com

and then use a command like:
define command{
command_name notify-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type:
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress:
$HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time:
$LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "**
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **"
$SERVICE_ALIAS$
}

Also, one server can have many IPs, and different service may use different
IP in the same server.
We have to create new check commands and pass the IP directly to the command
like:
command_line $USER1$/check_tcp -H $ARG1$ -p $ARG2$
So we don't need to create a host obejct for each IP.

Just a suggestion.....

Thanks

Ying