Passive Hostchecks - no Softstate

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 20 10:40:04 CEST 2005

Sebastian Röhl wrote:
> Hello to all nagios users,
>
> I run Nagios 2.04b in distributed monitoring and perform the aktive
> checks on the distributed monitoring server and summit the results to
> the central server, where notification and so on is made.
>
> Everything works fine, but I have a little problem with the passive
> hostchecks. The result ist submitted as normal to the central server
> and in the reason of down-state notification is made. But the problem
> is that there are no soft-states on the central server. Unlike to the
> service checks the first time the host-state goes to down-state the
> central server says for this host that it has hard-down-state and
> makes notification and so on. The passive servicechecks still have
> soft-states and everythink works fine. On the distributed server also
> the hosts are in soft-state but with the distrubution to the central
> server only the down-status arrives and the server goes to
> hard-down-state with the first distribution of status change.
>
> Now my questions: What ist the difference between Service and
> Hostchecks in this situation?

It has to do with scheduling. See the source for a detailed explanation.

> Is it normal that passive hostchecks
> cannot go into soft-state unlike passive servicechecks which are
> handled normal and go through all the soft-states before going into
> hard status?

Yes, because of scheduling. A host can never be in soft state while
other checks are being run.

> Its not very usefull, that everytime a hostcheck on a distributed
> server goes into soft-down-state the central server gets this
> information and sends out the notifications, whatever happens happens
> now. Yes I thought about checking in the submit command, if the
> hard-status is still reached and only than submit the result, but I
> think its much better then it works like on servicechecks, because of
> logging and other reasons.

It will be logged exactly the same, because of the scheduling of hostchecks.

> I hope someone can help me or can tell me if its a bug or general
> problem with nagios. Perhaps someone has the same problem and fixed
> it with a workarround or a patch.

No-one (that I'm aware of) has this fixed. Everybody uses the
submit-command to check for state softness.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se