Passive Hostchecks - no Softstate

Sebastian Röhl Sebastian.Roehl at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Oct 20 09:58:48 CEST 2005

Hello to all nagios users,

I run Nagios 2.04b in distributed monitoring and perform the aktive checks on the distributed monitoring server and summit the results to the central server, where notification and so on is made.

Everything works fine, but I have a little problem with the passive hostchecks. The result ist submitted as normal to the central server and in the reason of down-state notification is made.
But the problem is that there are no soft-states on the central server. Unlike to the service checks the first time the host-state goes to down-state the central server says for this host that it has hard-down-state and makes notification and so on.
The passive servicechecks still have soft-states and everythink works fine. On the distributed server also the hosts are in soft-state but with the distrubution to the central server only the down-status arrives and the server goes to hard-down-state with the first distribution of status change.

Now my questions:
What ist the difference between Service and Hostchecks in this situation? Is it normal that passive hostchecks cannot go into soft-state unlike passive servicechecks which are handled normal and go through all the soft-states before going into hard status?

Its not very usefull, that everytime a hostcheck on a distributed server goes into soft-down-state the central server gets this information and sends out the notifications, whatever happens happens now.
Yes I thought about checking in the submit command, if the hard-status is still reached and only than submit the result, but I think its much better then it works like on servicechecks, because of logging and other reasons.

I hope someone can help me or can tell me if its a bug or general problem with nagios.
Perhaps someone has the same problem and fixed it with a workarround or a patch.

Thank you for your help

Sebastian Röhl
(Sebastian.Roehl at rrze.uni-erlangen.de)
Rechenzentrum