Old host status info on web interface seems like a bug

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Oct 19 23:07:42 CEST 2005

Without knowing the version of Nagios you're using, I'm going to say
that it's almost certainly not a bug.

Now, I think the question you meant to ask is what's happening and how
do you fix it? My guess is that you have state retention enabled with
possibly a very long retention_update_interval. When retention is
enabled, Nagios will use the saved state information for hosts and
services in the state_retention_file when it initially restarts. The
plugins then kick in and provide current status information.

Your possible solutions are --
Disable retain_state_information in nagios.cfg and remove the
state_retention_file.
Or
Stop Nagios and remove the state_retention_file as specified in
nagios.cfg and restart Nagios forcing Nagios to re-create the file.
Verify that your retention_update_interval is reasonable.

Hth,

--
Marc