Old host status info on web interface seems like a bug

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Fri Oct 21 00:21:36 CEST 2005

> > I have a few hosts which a long time ago had errors from their
> > respective check commands.  The errors were subsequently alleviated.
> > Now I am using check_dummy for these hosts with a return value of
> > "0".
> > Every time I reload Nagios configuration, these hosts "reset" to red
> > status and the host status information shows the old error status
> > from
> > long time ago.  After Nagios runs for about a minute and the
> check_dummy
> > commands run, the status turns to green and OK.  But every single
> > time
> > reload Nagios config this happens again.  It also generates false
> > host
> > up alerts after each reload.
>
> Without knowing the version of Nagios you're using, I'm going to say
> that it's almost certainly not a bug.

2.0b3

> Now, I think the question you meant to ask is what's happening and how
> do you fix it? My guess is that you have state retention enabled with
> possibly a very long retention_update_interval. When retention is
> enabled, Nagios will use the saved state information for hosts and
> services in the state_retention_file when it initially restarts. The
> plugins then kick in and provide current status information.
>
> Your possible solutions are --
> Disable retain_state_information in nagios.cfg and remove the
> state_retention_file.
> Or
> Stop Nagios and remove the state_retention_file as specified in
> nagios.cfg and restart Nagios forcing Nagios to re-create the file.
> Verify that your retention_update_interval is reasonable.

I did try setting retain_status_information to 0 for the hosts in
question.  I then reloaded nagios and then set it back to 1.  After
reloading the status went to red and the old status error appeared
again, until once again
check_dummy was performed and it switched to OK/green.  Basically, even
setting retain_status_information to 0 for a while doesn't flush out the
old error status. retain_state_information is set to 1 in nagios.cfg and
retention_update_interval=60.  I will try removing the
state_retention_file next.  Thanks for your help!