Setting flapping state via external command

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 11 00:26:46 CEST 2005

John P. Rouillard wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> While I like the concept behind nagios's flap detection, I have to
> wonder if anybody besides me thought it would be a good idea to be
> able to use an external command (e.g. SEC the simple event correlator)
> to set the state of a service or host to flapping and clear it again?
>
> This would allow much finer grained control over flapping
> determination e.g. you could look at the last 22 states or the last 10
> states for flap detection rather than at nagios's default of 21.  You
> could also change flap detection depending on time of day, the state
> of the rest of the network etc. and allow adaptive flap detection.

There is no such mechanism in place today. A NEB-module might be able to
help you there though and shouldn't be too hard to write so long as you
keep it fairly small and make sure it's stateless (creating threads in
modules can wreak some fairly serious havok on nagios due to certain
global variables being initialized more than once).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se