Setting flapping state via external command

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Mon Oct 10 23:24:25 CEST 2005

Hello all:

While I like the concept behind nagios's flap detection, I have to
wonder if anybody besides me thought it would be a good idea to be
able to use an external command (e.g. SEC the simple event correlator)
to set the state of a service or host to flapping and clear it again?

This would allow much finer grained control over flapping
determination e.g. you could look at the last 22 states or the last 10
states for flap detection rather than at nagios's default of 21.  You
could also change flap detection depending on time of day, the state
of the rest of the network etc. and allow adaptive flap detection.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard